Thursday, December 2, 2010

It's in the Little Things

Thanksgiving came and went with a blur..it's so sad how time flies when you are having fun.  It was such a treat to have everyone here to celebrate and give thanks for everything.  It was truly a wonderful time. I really am blessed with amazing aunts,uncles, cousins, parents and sibs.  A girl couldn't ask for anything more.


As December rolls in and I am decorating and making lists and making more lists and trying to figure out what each of my littles want.   I quickly realize that it truly is in the little things that I do for my hubby and kiddos that matter most to me, acts of service is definitely one of my love languages.  This Christmas Brad and I have decided to not give each other anything so, I've decided that I will do the little things to show him how much I love him.  That will be my gift to him. Little notes, favorite foods, massages, text messages just to say I'm thinking of you and many other little things...you know the stuff you do when you are dating but tend to let slide after awhile. I will also gift each of my kids with the little things like favorite cookies, movie nights with good popcorn, notes in their lunch boxes or under their pillows, maybe a long conversation over hot cocoa in front of the fireplace, the list can go on and on.  I realized that the little things were what matter a long time ago when I was a little one myself.  I remember both my parents doing the little things more than I remember the big ones.  Like, the fresh warm cookies coming out of the oven when you'd get home from school, dad coming into the house with a  fountain pop and doughnut when you were sick or the love notes that would plunk down in your lap when you went to pull the visor down in your car just to tell you how proud they were of you and many more.  I loved those little moments so much as a kid that I want to do them for mine.  So, I'm still I guess on the subject of gratitude this season.  It is in the giving that you receive right? It's the feeling you get when you make someone's day or take a stress from them so they can relax a bit.

If you ever have time and have not done so read the book "The Five Love Languages " by Gary Coleman. You will find out what your love languages are and those of your spouse and kids.  It really helps make sense of how they work and it deepens your understanding of their uniqueness.

Pay it forward,
Marci

2 comments:

  1. Kevin and I had such a good time seeing you guys and everyone over Thanksgiving. Thanks again for the invite! What a wonderful new tradition. I love the collages. Looks like you may have made them on photoscape. Just a heads up, if you click on the acorn on the top right had corner, you can change the image size so they aren’t blurry when you make them larger in your blog. Here’s a little video I made showing how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbGAzQbar8k

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to see you as well. Thanks for the heads up on photoscape. I'll do that next time. Hope all is well. If you ever want to do wine at Brix give us a call!

    ReplyDelete