Friday, December 31, 2010

Grandpa Max


Today my phone rang and it was my sister letting me know that my dad had been trying to get a hold of me.  I knew what this meant as my Grandpa had been ill.  Hearing my dad say that he'd past was so very surreal because I had awoken around the time he'd past and felt I needed to pray.  My heart was beating fast and I know he'd awaken me to say goodbye.  See, I'm the oldest grand on my dad's side. I have spent many days and nights as a child going to their home.  I still smile each time I tell about how special it was and is to go there.  Grandpa was always so happy to see me.  His plump cheeks so easy to kiss.  He was a quiet man but you always knew he loved you.  He loved to hear how you were doing and what you'd accomplished.  He was a very proud man. He was an observer a lot of time but always watching with a smile on his face. I will never forget when my sister Amy and cousin Lisa and I were staying with them one summer we talked Grams and gramps into taking us to the movie "Cocktail," and oh man I think gramps's cheeks were flushed through the whole thing.  He laughed when we got out of it because he couldn't believe he took his granddaughters to see that...hahaha!

Gramps I will never forget the little things you did, the fresh popped popcorn, the ice cream runs when we were visiting, the awesome yard to run around in, the farm, the raccoons,the fishing stories, the war stories, the glider in the yard and the very many visits on that blue glider. 

Godspeed Gramps for I am so very proud to be your granddaughter.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment